Thursday, January 2, 2014

Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik


Surprise, surprise...The next book I tackled was the second installment in the Temeraire series. The first one left me feeling like So Much More was about to happen, so I continued on with Throne of Jade.

Novik continues the thread of the story beautifully. And again I was impressed with her character development. The big change that Laurence goes through as he and Temeraire undergo their travails in the East is obvious, but seems to occur fairly naturally.



Obviously if you like the first book, you're going to like the second one, but I think this even surpassed the first in the quality of the themes. I appreciated the many "cultural differences" concerning dragon relations in the West and East. There's also some hinting about the feral dragons in the middle of Africa that I hope we learn more about in the future.

This continues to be a fun, adventurous series!

~8/10~



No comments:

Post a Comment