Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Privilege, Power, and Difference by Allan G. Johnson

Johnson holds back no punches in this very direct outline of the problems modern American society faces with privilege.

While I respect his conclusions--okay, fine, most of his conclusions--I feel like the big problem with this book is that it actually provoked me to feel defensive. I felt really open to receiving what knowledge he had to offer me until he took things to such a monumental level. I understand that he's trying to reinforce the importance of working to break down these social barriers and constructs we've created, but he takes it to a place that is too "big picture" for me to retain hope for change.

On the other hand, I appreciated his thoroughness and the much more serious academic tone of the book compared to the one I had read previously, 35 Dumb Things Well-Intended People Say. I wish I could take the best of both books and mash them up into one comprehensive super-book about improving issues of difference.

~7/10~

No comments:

Post a Comment