Wednesday, January 1, 2014

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

I'm not a very trusting person when it comes to reading suggestions (maybe because my own suggestions vary wildly in quality), so when Kelly suggested His Majesty's Dragon to me when I was visiting her, I was reluctant to try it at first. Also, I tend to judge books by their covers and I'm not a huge fan of this design:


But I read the first-ish chapter while on vacation and was HOOKED. The book, along with its series-mates, ended up on my Christmas list, and I finally read it all today!

I am satisfied with Novik's world, magical premises (of which there really aren't many) and plot development, but I was MOST impressed with her character creation and growth. The back cover says Time reviewed this book as:
Enthralling reading--like Jane Austen playing Dungeons & Dragons with Eragon's Christopher Paolini.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Actually, I would add in that it reminds me a bit of Tamora Pierce's Tortall books, but with a bit more maturity and grounding in the real world. Basically, if you like the idea of having a special bond with a dragon and if you can stand reading yet ANOTHER historical fiction/fantasy novel about the Napoleonic Wars, this is a GREAT book for you. A solid, fun read.

~8/10~


2 comments:

  1. since you mentioned my idol ms. pierce, am now going to read this book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very different, but somewhat similar at the same time. Definitely different gender role issues at play...maybe that's why.

    ReplyDelete