Friday, January 17, 2014

One Night with the Shifter by Theresa Meyers

I swear I've read something like this before… Is this like a thing now, werewolf clans and territories and usurpers and whatnot? I think so… I actually really got into this book--it was easy to do so because the writing was pretty damn good--but I just have this nagging feeling that I've read very similar things online before. Insert judgmental werewolf face...


I guess my main criticism is that the plot moves too fast. You know when you daydream a fantasy world and a story to go with it? And you want the plot to keep advancing and advancing, so you move it forward in your head until you reach the end of what could ever be a remotely good story way too soon because you rushed through it all so fast? And you realize your daydream only lasted you a few hours--or if you drew it out, maybe a few days? That's what this book reminded me of. A daydream that's really enjoyable and brings you a lot of pleasure, but it's too fast and easy, so you always want more. A literary drug.

It was a good drug, though. I would actually read books by this author again. She did a good job of setting the scene and describing people more fully and intimately than most of the other romance novels I've read recently. I mean, this was no Outlander--a pocketbook romance can't compete with a truly epic love story--but I didn't feel ashamed to have read it, even with the ridiculous notions of werewolves and vampires and hybrids and reivers as they were portrayed in this book. Honestly, who materializes out of thin air these days?!

~7/10~

No comments:

Post a Comment