Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sentinels: Lynx Destiny by Doranna Durgin

I had steak for dinner. That's what I'm blaming this book choice on--too much delicious, juicy, red meat. Normally I would be horrified to admit to reading such a cheesy fantasy romance. But I'm not going to lie, this one was a bit special. Basic plot: boy meets girl...

Okay, fine, basic plot: shape-shifter lynx-man meets protector-earth-woman and they try to keep each other from being killed by the mysterious, expensively clad enemy, while celebrating nature in all its manifestations. Grrrrrrrr.


I feel very conflicted about this book because the writing was actually good, but the dialogue was incredibly cheesy. The plot was well-constructed, but the "complicated" characters read a bit flat. The fight scenes put me off, but the sex scenes...*ahem*...were enthusiastic and somehow wildly, crazily believable. There was a lot in this book that I found contradictory, so although my first instinct in looking at the cover and reading the description was to hate it, I kind of like it in its own way. Maybe I just have come to respect it for what it is.

Basically, if you like shapeshifting and complicated, somewhat odd, fantastical, age-old-rival situations set in the real world, you might like this book. Or you might laugh at this book. Who knows. I did a little of both.

~5/10~

From now on, I'll give brownie points to anyone else who writes about using pads to bandage up wounds. Feminine products should be written about much more often in romantic literature. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment