Monday, January 27, 2014

Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen

Ugh, my new books from Amazon haven't arrived yet! So I was forced to read what I had lying around, which was Dragon's Blood, Book #1 in the Pit Dragon Trilogy (which later became a quartet). This was not what I would have chosen to read, as far as dragon sci-fi goes. It's very light on the sci and heavy on the fi.

Basic plot? Jakkin steals a dragon to raise so he can stop being a servant and become a dragon master.


I expect my dragon books to be hot. Red hot. It's dragons, for heaven's sake--there should be excitement, fear, death, and elation (maybe not in that order)! But if I had to take the temperature of this book, it would be a lukewarm 70 degrees Fahrenheit. And don't try and tell me 70's not bad. It's bad.

Jakkin and his peers are pretty two-dimensional, as far as characters go. The dragon breeding and raising practices are unsurprising. The tacky "love story," which is little more than a childhood crush, has no depth. The style is Jane Yolen, but not in a good way. I'm disappointed.

~5/10~

No comments:

Post a Comment