Friday, January 24, 2014

Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë

I love the Brontës. I have loved the Brontës for years. I will continue to love the Brontës until the day I die. I first read Jane Eyre as a young teenager, and then in the summer before high school, I struck out on my own to explore Wuthering Heights (which became Wuthering Hams…long story). That being the most captivating and intriguing novel I had ever read, I knew I wanted to experience more. I chose the "other sister's" Tenant of Wildfell Hall, and I loved that, too! More than Jane Eyre in some respects, although definitely less than Wuthering Heights--nothing can top that jumble of misfortunes, character flaws and stubborn passions! And then I went to college and I bought Villette, which became my back-seat back-up novel that spent most of its time forgotten in my car. I read a bit here and there, a few of those bits in large chunks, but it never really captivated me the way the other three books did. So I finished it slowly over several years, reading Wuthering Heights, too, at least a few times in that span, and visited the Brontë house, which is now a great museum, after studying abroad.

Naturally, in my effort to read as much Brontë material as possible without making much effort, I also at some point purchased Agnes Grey, and it unfortunately sat forgotten on my shelf, wedged between Wuthering Hams (don't ask) and a young adult fantasy novel…Until now.


This is exactly what you think of when the words "Victorian female literature" come to mind. Agnes is a young woman who decides to become a governess to help support her family. Over the few years she actually pursues this "dream" job, she has to deal with spoiled children, chauvinistic men, disdainful upper middle class and upper class women, irritated servants, and her own conscience and lack of confidence.

The characters are rather simple and flat, but they are so identifiably Anne's characters that I had to love them anyway (or love to hate them, rather). And I had to keep in mind that the characters were not what was important in this story. Clearly, the factions they represent and their treatment of Agnes is much more important. The emphasis is not on the individual, but on groups of people like the individual.

The last chapter is by far my favorite, but I'm an old softie. It's really too soft to have a deep, meaningful conclusion, but some of the dialogue melted my heart. If you liked Jane Eyre, you will probably like this, but you have to bear in mind that there isn't as much action. It's a fictional memoir, so you should be prepared to seek the meaning behind the events and actions that Agnes takes rather than relying on overt action to maintain your attention.

~7/10~


No comments:

Post a Comment