Saturday, January 4, 2014

Black Powder War by Naomi Novik

Just finished Book 3 of the Temeraire series! This one was a tad more tedious than the first two, what with the seemingly endless traveling involved in getting back to England from China over land rather than by sea. But it was still a solid read.


There were many times--unexpected moments spaced judiciously throughout the book--when I actually laughed out loud, which I almost never do when reading. I will never forget page 40 as long as I live! It took me a few reads to get what was going on (must be the blonde in me), but once I did, I didn't stop giggling for a good thirty seconds. Oh, dragon humor.

I think, really, that's the beauty of this third novel--all the unexpectedly moving, funny, sad, enraging, or just surprising moments that Novik added in to break up the monotony of the somewhat dry traveling scenes and the over-involved battle scenes. Overall, though, the book was still tedious, so I am giving this a lower rating than the first two books.

~7/10~

No comments:

Post a Comment