Sunday, January 26, 2014

Search Inside Yourself by Chade-Meng Tan

This Google self-improvement book is basically "Mindfulness for Dummies." The techniques are described in such a way that you'd have to be seriously, stubbornly resisting them to not engage in mindfulness practices properly. There are also instructions for more complex exercises…Sort of. But it's mostly the easy stuff. The book keeps everything dumbed down in hopes that you'll have no reason not to try and therefore benefit from the techniques.


And if you've ever doubted mindfulness, over half the book is basically a giant literature review to show you just how much evidence there is that this stuff works. And by works, I mean, will bring you a better sense of self-awareness, better interpersonal relations, better productivity and more happiness. I give these guys mad props for doing their homework. Yes, we all know it works.

But where the book loses me is in its simplicity. The very lack of challenge demotivates me. I'm not really open to "searching inside myself" right now. And this didn't motivate me to do so. Google-fail!

~6/10~

No comments:

Post a Comment