Wednesday, January 8, 2014

35 Dumb Things Well-Intended People Say by Maura Cullen

Okay, as far as diversity training goes, this was an okay refresher and included a few tidbits new to me, which provoked real thought. Really the most effective, thought-provoking section is "Chapter 2: The 10 Core Concepts" having to do with communication regarding diversity issues.


If you are taking your engagement with this book seriously--reflecting generally as well as individually about these topics--you will be able to understand your own relationship with these core concepts (including advantaged and disadvantaged populations, privilege, consistency and fairness, etc.) much better. I even took my resistance to one of Cullen's assumptions about privilege, thought out my argument for why I disagreed with her, then found a flaw in my own argument and realized she was right. (Grrrr, I hate it when I prove myself wrong!) So I would say that the great thing about this book is that--if you are engaging in earnest thought about how it relates to your experiences or lack thereof--it provides you with a myriad of opportunities to reflect on and draw your own conclusions about diversity issues. A great self-facilitation exercise of sorts!

Of course, the format of the book is completely self-indulgent (I've honestly never seen an author lay out extra acknowledgements, notes, introductions, and other tidbits in such a self-indulgent, cockamamie way!) and I take serious issue with the fact that there were several grammar and punctuation errors (and at least one factual inconsistency). Apparently I have to let Terry off the hook (see my review of lol :/) if people with PhDs are publishing books with this many errors. HONESTLY!

~7/10~

No comments:

Post a Comment