Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Women Troubadours by Meg Bogin

This was an interesting short compilation of several poems from 12th century female troubadours. The original texts with translations are preceded by lengthy sections providing you with background information on the history and culture of the period, relevant social and political issues, and literary context.

Of course, this was an interesting portrayal of l'amour courtois. The majority of my literary knowledge of courtoisie comes from Marie de France, who was herself a woman (although she was from northern France, while the poetesses featured in this book were from Provence and wrote in langue d'oc). But Marie de France was probably more formally an author than these women, who wrote in a fairly informal style…

At any rate, my point is not to compare and contrast medieval poetic literature. That would just be silly.

We can learn a lot from these women of the 12th century, though; their works include some great advice:
"…the lover humbly ought to ask / for everything his heart desires, / and the lady should comply with his request / within the bounds of common sense ; / and the lover ought to do her bidding / as toward a friend and lady equally / and she should honor him the way / she would a friend, but never as a lord." ~ Maria de Ventadorn
"…if he really wants my love, / he'll have to show high spirits and behave, / be frank and humble, not pick fights with any man, / be courteous with everyone ; / for I don't want a man who's proud or bitter, / who'll debase my worth or ruin me..." ~ Anonymous
"But above all, messenger, make him comprehend / that too much pride has undone many men." ~ Countess of Dia

 But I think my favorite part was when I started reading the poem by Azalais de Porcairages:
"Now we are come to the cold time / when the ice and the snow and the mud / and the birds' beaks are mute / … / My heart is so disordered / that I'm rude to everyone…"
Sing it, sister! I know she's about to go on about love and men again, but how perfect is that for how so many of us feel right now?!

This was an intriguing snapshot of Medieval "French"literature/performance art. I shall now have to go read some male troubadours' works so I can better compare the two groups.

~7/10~

No comments:

Post a Comment