Saturday, March 22, 2014

A Pair of Blue Eyes by Thomas Hardy

I was a fan of Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles and was, therefore, excited to explore this, one of his earlier works. Hardy does not disappoint. In some ways, this actually reminded me more of Madame Bovary, but the style was definitely Hardy. The very active, fleshed out characters. The realistic dialogue. His penchant for young women to be passionate and a bit frivolous and for men to be prideful and arrogant. The action!

OH, THE ACTION! (I truly did not see it coming!)


And where Tess is all doom and gloom, A Pair of Blue Eyes is almost comically overpositive. (Ah, yes, Hardy has inspired in me the desire to create almost real words! He has a tendency to do that to one.)

Elfride is an impressionable young woman, the daughter of a country vicar in Hardy's favorite fictional region--Essex. When a likewise impressionable young architect named Stephen Smith comes to stay with her and her father, she develops a fondness for him.
"I am content to build happiness on any accidental basis that may lie near at hand; you are for making a world to suit your happiness."

Elfie is the very picture of a perfect young lady…in many ways. But in others, I suspect she is also what Hardy wishes young women were. She's actually intelligent. In fact, this is one reason I like her character despite her flaws. She is much less silly than Emma Bovary and brighter by far than Tess (who is probably a more fair comparison as she is another of Hardy's creations). She does have some growing and maturing to do, but you can actually see her maturing through the novel.
"Am I such a--mere characterless toy--as to have no attraction in me, apart from--freshness? Haven't I brains? You said--I was clever and ingenious in my thoughts, and--isn't that anything? Have I not some beauty?…You have praised my voice, and my manner, and my accomplishments. Yet all of these together are so much rubbish because I--accidentally saw a man before you!"
Unfortunately, I feel I can't really go much further into the plot without revealing things that will surprise and delight you. There is much that becomes predictable as you read, but some things that remain unexpected. You would not believe how many actions take place. It's not all dialogue and description!

Honestly, I wish I had had the chance to study this book in school. Studying Tess was useful, but so serious and simplistic. There's a simultaneous importance of theme yet lightness of style in A Pair of Blue Eyes which makes it a truly intriguing work to study, in my humble opinion. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes 19th century British novels, romances, well-crafted classic literature, or anything in-between. I have been inspired to pursue more familiarity with Hardy's works.

~9/10~

No comments:

Post a Comment