Saturday, March 8, 2014

Border Moonlight by Amanda Scott

I had never read Amanda Scott before and I've had a bad run of cheesy romance novels, so I was a bit hesitant to read this, but I actually discovered a really great romance novelist.

Scott is one of those Scottish romance authors--I kind of despise romance authors who specialize in something like that, exoticizing a culture though repetitive use of it in a romantic context to awe your reader. HOWEVER, this was a really well-written, well-crafted book.


Border Moonlight (yes, the title is stupid) is about a woman who has jilted men at the alter three times, refusing to marry the men her father picks for her. One day, when out riding, she hears a child in the river screaming and rushes to save the child from drowning. A man sees her heroic act and helps her get out of the river. Surprise! It's suitor number two, who vowed to pay her back for her humiliation of him.

You would think--this being a romance novel--that the focus of the plot would be on that goal of payback. However, Scott actually focuses much of the plot on the political intrigue of the borderlands and the disappearance of a person of importance. She twines both that and the slowly-developing romance together quite well--well enough that I actually kept nodding and smiling rather than cringing.

This is not the best romance novel I have ever read. But it was damn good, so I'm excited I've found another solid romance author to read!

~7/10~

No comments:

Post a Comment