Friday, March 14, 2014

SYLO by D.J. McHale

So I was in the grocery store the other day, perusing the book section with amusement, as you do, and this book caught my eye. I think it may be the first time I've seen a teen book so clearly targeted towards boys.


I refer you to the review quote at the top of the cover that reads, "Absolutely un-put-down-able, more exciting than an X-Box and a rollercoaster combined." When was the last time you saw a one-sentence review that includes a made-up word that could easily have been replaced by a real word, mentions video games, and references the high you get from hurtling down a steep track with no control over your vehicle? That's what I thought.

SYLO is about the invasion of a quaint island in Maine, a place that is the very picture of quiet, prosperous American life until a bunch of mysterious military troops literally invade. These troops are with a division of the Navy called SYLO, and they say that they are there to protect the island…but are they going too far? Are their goals really so straightforward? Why is there a mainlander peddling a curious red drug? What are the shadowy flying things that emit sound and light? Is anyone safe anymore?


These are all questions that Tucker and his friends ask as their insular world is turned upside down. From facing a typical fall school season with football and dances and homework, they're now trying to solve the mysteries, stay alive, and find help. But can they get off the island alive?

Read this to find out. I have to say, I was expecting a lot, and I'm still pretty sure half of my theories unanswered by this first book in the series are correct, but there were two twists at the end that I did not expect, one of which blew my mind. You won't believe what the shadowy flying objects are!

I didn't want to like this book; I thought, "Dear god, not a rollercoaster AND an X-Box!" But I get it. Now I'm hooked and I'm dying to know what happens next. Bravo, Mr. MacHale, bravo.

~7/10~

No comments:

Post a Comment