Friday, February 28, 2014

The Poet Game by Salar Abdoh

What the *bleep* did I just read? This was definitely not my genre as far as books go, so there was that...And then it was written in a very casual, assume-you-can-pick-up-what's-going-on-as-stuff-happens way, so that wasn't helpful...And I just kept thinking, "This is so not real!"


I understand that intelligence agencies and counter agencies and rogue groups exist…I understand that their operatives are likely to try to infiltrate each others' groups to obtain better information...But I doubt that these operatives are flopping around like fish on the sand, given no information about their assignments and told to gather and report back. And I doubt that they're off randomly running into raunchy women and having pseudo-sexual experiences with strangers.

This is one of those novels that I just DON'T GET. So if you think an enigmatic, self-absorbed, Spooks-like novel of Muslim intrigue in New York sounds like fun, read this book. If you are thinking, "Dear god, could something be more enigmatic or self-absorbed than Spooks?!" DO NOT READ THIS BOOK. I really did not think anything could be more Spooks-like than Spooks. I was wrong.

~5/10~

No comments:

Post a Comment