Thursday, February 6, 2014

Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

I don't get it. Nope. Don't like this one. Don't get it at all.

I didn't expect to love it, but I expected to respect and understand it. Instead, all I could think the whole time I read this was "She's pregnant, pregnant, pregnant. Super preggers. Knocked up. Up the duff. Screwwwed. Got a bun in the oven. Prego eggo. Pregnant." Seriously, though. PREGNANT!


So since I really didn't understand the point of this story--of the lack of genuine communication contrasted with the too-genuine communication, I'm guessing--I Wikipedia'd it. That definitely didn't help. For one thing, Wikipedia told me that she wasn't supposed to be preggers. Hmph.

For another thing, why is it that depressingly deep people always have to belittle the simple, happy people? Poor Lane, pitted and underestimated. Franny and Zooey can go float a boat for all I care for their depressing ruminations and "enlightenment!"

You can get all academic and high-brow on this shit, but it still seems like something one of my high classmates would have written at two in the morning, while sitting naked in a kimono, slurping Ramen.

~5/10~

No comments:

Post a Comment