Monday, February 3, 2014

Star-crossed by Linda Collison

This is a great book; I remember reading it repeatedly when I was 10-ish years old, ri--OH WAIT! That was The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. So what did I just read?


I have to be honest and say that this was way too close to the plot of Avi's awesome coming-of-age story for me to be able to appreciate Collison's version. I'm trying to think of anything positive to say, but all I keep thinking is: "It's a rip off!"

I guess the writing is okay, and technically it's geared towards a somewhat older crowd than the aforementioned children's novel. I certainly don't recall Charlotte Doyle marrying anyone or doctoring her peers' disgusting ailments. But aside from those two huge differences--advanced love interests and medical emergencies--this book is pretty much a copy cat.

So if you liked The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle and if you like Grey's Anatomy (joking), you'll certainly like Star-crossed. This one loses major points for lack of originality.

~5/10~

No comments:

Post a Comment